Former Monarch Juan Carlos to Be Available to Prosecution Despite Leaving Spain, Lawyer Says

0
39

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – King Emeritus Juan Carlos de Borbon will remain at the disposal of Spanish prosecutors despite his decision to leave the country amid a corruption scandal, his lawyer Javier Sanchez-Junco said on Monday.

Earlier in the day, the retired monarch sent a letter to his son, the current King Felipe, saying he had decided to leave the country.

Meanwhile, the Spanish government has expressed its “respect” toward the royal decision, while also recognizing “the sense of exemplariness and transparency” that have guided King Felipe since he assumed the position of monarch, according to the RTVE broadcaster.

In June, Spain’s Supreme Court prosecutors launched an investigation into the emeritus king’s role in an anti-corruption case regarding the 2011 construction contract for a high-speed railway from Saudi Arabia’s Mecca to Medina.

Sourse: sputniknews.com

No votes yet.
Please wait...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here