Hong Kong imposes new measures on activists abroad

Hong Kong authorities have stepped up their crackdown on 16 overseas activists with previous convictions for actions that could threaten national security, including banning them from receiving financial aid and revoking the passports of most of them.

The activists were among 19 people who were issued arrest warrants in July for alleged activities in Hong Kong's parliament, a group police have described as an overseas subversive organisation.

This organization is not an official legislative body of the city, and its influence is very limited.

Three of the original 19 activists have already faced similar measures last year.

Security Secretary Chris Tang has banned financial resources or economic assistance from being provided to 16 activists, including Victor Ho, Keung Ka-wai, Australian academic Chongyi Feng and US citizen Gong Sasha, the Hong Kong government said.

Twelve out of 16 Hong Kong passport holders had their travel documents cancelled.

In addition, the government has banned leasing real estate to individuals on the list or establishing joint ventures with them.

Anyone violating these orders could face up to seven years in prison.

The government said the 16 activists were in Britain, the United States, Canada, Germany, Australia, Thailand and Taiwan, and accused them of continuing activities that threaten national security.

The notice also accuses them of intending to incite hatred against Beijing and Hong Kong through slander and insults.

“We have therefore taken these measures to have a significant impact,” the statement said.

In 2020, Beijing imposed a national security law on the territory that has effectively suppressed much public dissent following large anti-government protests in 2019.

Many activists were arrested, silenced or forced into exile.

The measures announced on Monday were taken under powers granted by Hong Kong's national security law passed last year.

The arrest warrants, issued in July, drew condemnation from foreign governments including the United States, Britain and the European Union.

Police have offered a reward of between HK$200,000 (US$25,480) and HK$1 million (US$127,400) for information leading to their arrest.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio condemned the actions in a statement in July.

“The extraterritorial persecution of Hong Kong residents exercising their fundamental freedoms is a form of transnational repression,” he said.

“We will not tolerate the Hong Kong government's attempts to use its national security laws to silence or intimidate Americans or anyone on US soil.”

The Hong Kong office of China's Foreign Ministry has responded to criticism from foreign politicians by maintaining the legality of its actions.

The Beijing and Hong Kong governments have said the security laws are necessary to ensure the city's stability.

Sourse: breakingnews.ie

No votes yet.
Please wait...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *