Newcastle are in advanced talks with Real Sociedad to sign striker Alexander Isak for a fee in the region of £58m.
Dan Ashworth, Newcastle’s sporting director, and Steve Nickson, the club’s head of recruitment, are in Spain as they look to complete the move.
The deal would represent a club record for Newcastle, eclipsing the £40m they paid Hoffenheim for Joelinton in 2019 and Lyon for Bruno Guimaraes in January.
- Newcastle bid £30m for Watford’s Pedro | Everton also keen
- Newcastle transfer rumours: I’d love to make additions – Howe
- Newcastle’s transformation under Howe analysed
FREE TO WATCH: Highlights of Newcastle against Manchester City in the Premier League.
Isak has been at Real Sociedad since the summer of 2019, when he arrived from Borussia Dortmund, and has scored 44 goals in 132 appearances – including one in the 4-1 La Liga defeat to Barcelona on Sunday.
The 22-year-old also has nine goals in 37 caps for Sweden, the first of which came when he was just 17 and made him his country’s youngest goalscorer.
- Transfer Centre: Man Utd set £80m Antony budget
- Papers: Man Utd plot Depay reunion
- Carabao Cup third-round draw: Man City host Chelsea; Liverpool face Derby
- CL group-stage draw: Who could English and Scottish sides face?
- Auba, Depay and De Jong feature for Barca in 3-3 draw with Man City
- Scorecard shows AJ was winning Usyk fight after nine rounds
- Jota: I didn’t believe I could reach Liverpool
- Nice agree loan deal for Arsenal forward Pepe
- Essential Football: Chelsea’s overhaul examined
- Bailly joins Marseille on loan | Man Utd hold Dubravka talks
If Isak completes his move to St James’ Park, he will become Newcastle’s fourth signing of the summer, following the arrivals of Sven Botman, Matt Targett and Nick Pope, and eighth permanent arrival since the Saudi-backed consortium’s takeover last autumn.
Newcastle bid £30m for Watford’s Pedro | Everton also keen
Image: Watford's Joao Pedro is also a Newcastle transfer target
Newcastle are also keen on Watford’s Joao Pedro and are hopeful of signing the forward after making a second offer earlier this week.
The bid is believed to be in the region of £30m, including add-ons.
Everton have also enquired about Pedro’s availability, although they are yet to make Watford an offer of their own.
Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe plays down reports that the club have reached an agreement with Watford for forward Joao Pedro.
Watford are considering the proposal from Newcastle, with talks ongoing over the structure of the payments and how achievable the add-ons are. However, the Championship club are under no pressure to sell as Pedro still has three years remaining on his contract.
Sky Sports News revealed on August 15 that the Hornets rejected a £17.5m bid for the 20-year-old Brazilian, who scored three goals and recorded one assist from 15 starts and 13 sub appearances in the Premier League last season.
Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will be on the move before the transfer window closes at 11pm on September 1?
Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and rumours in our dedicated Transfer Centre blog on Sky Sports’ digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins, outs and analysis on Sky Sports News.
Win £250,000 with Super 6!
Another Saturday, another chance to win £250,000 for free. Entries by 3pm Saturday.