GAA round up: David Clifford returns as Kerry defeat Monaghan

David Clifford made his return to the Kerry team as he helped them to a 3-15 to 1-12 win over Monaghan in Clones.

Clifford came on in the 32nd minute for Ronan Buckley, with Kerry 1-9 to 1-5 ahead when he entered the pitch, a lead which they took to the interval.

He continued where he left off last season, as he scored Kerry’s second goal in the 59th minute, with Seán O’shea scoring their third, as he scored 1-7 from full forward to give Kerry their first league win.

In Derry, Mickey Harte faced his former side as Derry defeated Ulster rivals Tyrone 1-12 to 0-9.

Derry got off to a quick start, with points from Shane McGuigan and Cormac Murphy giving them a 0-5 to 0-1 lead after 15 minutes

Tyrone closed the deficit, but Derry kept the scoreboard ticking as they took a 0-7 to 0-5 lead into the break.

Derry stretched their lead out to 0-12 to 0-7 at one point in the second half, and made sure of the game through Conor Glass’s goal in the 69th minute to seal victory.

In Dr Hyde Park, it finished all square between Roscommon and Galway in a 0-09 draw.

Conor Cox scored five points for Roscommon, who lead at half-time by 0-7 to 0-4. However, they couldn’t build on their lead in the second half, with their last score coming in the 51st minute.

Paul Conroy scored the levelling point in the 62nd minute, as Galway’s wait for a first win continues.

In Division Two, Louth ensured Cork would have to wait for their first victory with a 2-9 to 0-13 win in Ardee.

The Louth goals were scored twice in the first three minutes through Ciaran Keenan and Ciarán Downey, as Cork couldn’t recover in the second half.

Jim McGuinesses made it two wins from two as Donegal battled for a one-point win over Cavan. Oisin Gallen scored six points for Donegal, as they were pushed all the way by Cavan.

In Division Three, Westmeath defeated Clare 1-11 to 0-13 thanks to a last minute Ronan O’Toole point.

In Markievicz Park, Sligo got their first win when they defeated Wicklow 2-10 to 1-11. There was also a narrow win for Antrim, who defeated Offaly 2-5 to 1-7.


Limerick got their Allianz Hurling League 1B campaign underway with a comfortable 1-36 to 1-09 win over Antrim. Shane O’brien scored Limerick’s goal, as he ended the game with 1-5.

Donnacha Ó Dálaigh also impressed with six points, with Adam English scoring 1-9.

Clare defeated Munster rivals Cork 1-25 to 2-19 in their opening game. In an entertaining clash in Cusack Park, Clare were always out of Cork’s reach, with the goal from Seadna Morey coming at a vital time in the second half.

Patrick Horgan scored 1-7 for Cork, with their second goal coming from Tommy O’Connell.

In Nowlan Park, it finished all square between Kilkenny and Wexford in a 2-16 draw.

Kilkenny thought they had won the game when Billy Drennan scored his second goal of the game from a penalty, but Wexford responded immediately through a goal from Cian Byrne to rescue a point.

In the other game in Division One, Waterford were 12 point winners over Offaly in a 3-20 to 0-17 win.

All of Waterford’s goals came in the first half, with Stephen Bennett scoring 2-4, and the third goal coming from Sean Walsh.


No votes yet.
Please wait...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *