GAA: Limerick come from behind to defeat Clare, Mayo overcome Roscommon

All-Ireland champions Limerick got their Munster championship campaign underway with a 3-15 to 1-18 win over Clare in Cusack Park.

Clare were the better team in the first half, with a goal from Aidan McCarthy giving them a 1-10 to 0-08 lead at the interval, as Limerick gave away several frees and missed a number of chances.

In an improved display in the second half, Limerick got themselves back in the game, with three goals in five minutes key to their victory.

Diarmuid Byrnes free kick somehow ended up in the Clare net, before quickfire goals from Donnacha Ó Dálaigh and Aaron Gillane sealed victory for the All-Ireland champions.

Elsewhere in Munster, Waterford were 2-25 to 1-25 winners over Cork.

Dessie Hutchinson scored 10 points for Waterford, while their goals came from Stephen Bennett and Jamie Barron.

In Leinster, Kilkenny were comfortable 5-30 to 0-13 winners over Antrim at Nowlan Park.

Billy Drennan scored 1-6 off the bench, with Owen Wall also impressing as a replacement with 2-2 for Kilkenny.

At Pearse Stadium, Conor Cooney scored 1-10 as Galway were 2-25 to 2-14 winners over Carlow.

At Wexford Park, a last minute goal from Cian O’Sullivan ensured the points were shared between Dublin and Wexford in a 2-18 to 1-21 draw.


Mayo booked their place in the Connacht final with a 1-15 to 0-13 victory over Roscommon in Dr Hyde Park.

Aidan O’Shea scored Mayo’s only goal after eight minutes as Mayo got off to a flying start. The game was tight from that moment on, as Roscommon rallied to ensure Mayo only lead by one point at half-time.

Mayo pulled away in the second half, with impressive scores from Fergal Boland and Tommy Conroy helping them to open up a six point lead at one stage.

In Ulster, Tyrone were made to work for victory as they defeated Cavan 1-23 to 3-15 after extra time.

Cavan started the brighter of the sides with Cian Madden’s goal after nin minutes, but Liam Gray’s goal for Tyrone gave them a 1-5 to 1-1 lead after 17 minutes.

Tyrone pushed on to go into the interval with a 1-10 to 1-4 lead, but goals from Brian O’Connell and Niall Carolan put Cavan right back in the game.

Both sides had the lead in the final minutes, with a point in the 73rd minute from Brian O’Connell bringing the game to extra time.

In a tense 20 minutes, it was Tyrone who came out on top, with a vital point from Tiarnan Quinn securing a semi-final against Donegal.


No votes yet.
Please wait...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *